Welcome to the It’s Time blog tour with Jeremy Hawkins as my Wednesday’s Guest. Jeremy has been on tour for over a week already, and he has been scrambling his brain on this blog tour. So, instead of offering something of great seriousness, he thought he would change it up a little and share some really silly things and give you a short list of dumb warnings and stupid laws. Now here’s Johnny…. no hereeeesssss Jeremy.
I want to thank you all and Maryann for letting me stop over and do a guest post. As she said, I decided to let seriousness go for a day, so here we go with a few things that may make you scratch your head and a few that may even make you laugh. These are some great scattered warnings I’ve run across from time to time:
- Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue
- This camera will only work when film is inside.
- Caution: Avoid dropping air conditioners out of windows.
- Warning: Do not use while sleeping.
- Warning: Never iron clothes on the body.
- This is NOT a life saving device!!!
- Street closed to traffic when flooded.
- State Prison: Do Not Stop for Hitchhikers.
- Do not make grilled cheese in the waffle makers.
- Warning: Not for Human Consumption.
- Warning: Do not ignite in face.
- Warning: For indoor or outdoor use only.
- WARNING: This bag is not a toy.
- Some assembly required.
- Warning: do not use as a floatation devise. Do not ingest.
Did you have a great “Duh” moment, or as Homer would say “Doh”, its funny? Though my favorite is always going to be coffee contents might be “Hot”.
Now, here is a small group of some silly state laws. You know you are in trouble when:
- Illinois – You may be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill on your person.
- California – It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
- Washington – When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.
- Wisconsin – State Law made it illegal to serve apple pie in public restaurants without cheese.
- Indiana – One man may not back into a parking spot because it prevents police officers from seeing the license plate.
- Hawaii – You may only have one alcoholic drink in front of you at a time
- Kansas – Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.
- Alabama – It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
- Alaska – While it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
- Texas – A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
Thank you again, if you are interested in entering the giveaway just stop on over my site at the link below. For those following the tour, next time I give you the Captain!
Buy the books at Amazon
14 thoughts on “Be My Guest – Jeremy Hawkins – Silly Things”
Shooting rabbits from a boat? In Kansas?
I can’t make cheese sandwiches in my waffle maker? Bummer…
Dig the silliness, Jeremy!
Those guys working in the state legislatures have to come up with something to earn their political cash.
Good luck with your tour!
I think those guys in the state legislatures want to become fodder of the nightly national news to get tourists! 🙂
Alex, I haven’t told Jeremy, but you can make grilled cheese in the older waffle makers that have plates that turn around. We made grilled cheese all the time in one when I was a kid, and I still have that waffle maker. My sister and I loved to come home from school and butter bread, then grill it in the waffle iron. It came out smashed flat, but was so good. Mother hated that we would go through a half a loaf of bread that way. LOL
Thanks for stopping by D.G. and Roland. You comments about the legislators made me laugh.
Alex… some of these rules rock and protect the innocent noble rabbits. I also like the idea of a grilled cheese with a waffle maker.
D.G…. wait these laws aren’t to benefit the people, say it isn’t so.
Roland… it’s like old school witch hunts, someone points a finger. Instead of getting the dunking tank, you pay a hefty fine.
So maybe readers should share some of the silly laws they have found. What do you think? I just thought of an old Texas saying that isn’t a law, but makes more sense than some of the laws you cited, Jeremy. “Don’t squat with your spurs on.”
what’s wrong with prison hitchhikers? I bet they’re more exciting than the regular ones 🙂
Maryann, thanks for hosting, Jeremy, hope he didn’t leave too much mess in your cassa 😛
I see the notorious “Grilled Cheese in the Waffle Iron” debate has found a new life. Since this is National Waffle Week, I think it’s the duty of all Americans to put at least one weird thing in a waffle maker to see what happens. It’s for science.
I’m going to try waffle-cut potatoes 😉 Great article!
Great list of dumb signs, though some seem all right to me. I see the prison/hitchhiker warning frequently.
My favorite is the don’t read this sign sign. I wonder if there’s a cop nearby, just waiting to give out tickets.
The Texas law is my favorite.
Best of luck, Jeremy!
Maryann… no spur squatting here, sound kind of dangerous.
Dezzy… you know better, hey at least you can share tattoos!
Cairn… wait there is a debate, awesome!
Bob… my thoughts on hitchhikers and then add possible jail jumper. I might see if they got a release and no one was there to pick them up… maybe. I could take that $1.83 they earned on the inside.
Armchair… it would be proper and it would a “maybe you can come back another time”…
Dez, Jeremy was a model guest. He showed me his new retro zombie outfit, and even wiped up the drips.
Cairn, I didn’t know about the debate, either, but I was a good debater in school. I would take the position of waffling the potatoes with the skins on.
Squid – can I call you by your nickname? We’re you referring to the one about the spurs? You do understand that is not a law, although one cowboy from Lubbock said there should be after he tore his denims and his gluts. (Smile)
Bob, Jeremy sent me a really neat cop graphic, and like a doofus, I didn’t get it up with the article. Imcan send it to you if you’d like.
Funny, and I know I’ve read most of those on items I’ve purchased. The laws, well, hey we do elect the best don’t we.
Congrats on the book Jeremy!