0

Friday’s Odds and Ends

Posted by mcm0704 on September 22, 2017 |

Before getting into the horrible news from the Caribbean and Mexico, just a touchof cuteness to brighten our Friday a bit.

Image courtesy of Mr. Tumblr http://www.mrtumblr.com/friday-meme-funny-animals/

The devastation from the three major hurricanes since Harvey hit the south coast of Texas just keeps getting worse and worse. The two small islands of Antigua and Barbuda have virtually been destroyed. Dominican Prime Minister Skerrit said in an interview that every village and every street in Dominica has been affected. There is no running water and no electricity. A spokesperson from the power company on Antigua said it could take 6 months for full power to be restored.

A podcast from The Daily today reported that representatives of these small island countries have appealed to the United Nations for humanitarian relief for the islands that were hit so hard by Hurricane Irma and now Maria. Millions are without homes and the smaller island of Barbuda was rendered inhabitable. Those island leaders also appealed to the large industrial countries to consider what they can do to stop the progression of global warming before it is too late.

Michael Barbaro, The Daily host, interviewed scientists for today’s story, and their responses to his questions as to whether global warming causes the storms is well worth listening to.

There is desperate need for food, water and medical supplies on the island of 73,000 residents, officials said. If you would like to help, a story in the New York Times gives some suggestion for relief agencies that people can donate to to help those affected by the storms.

Two earthquakes hit Mexico in just 12 days, the last one on Tuesday this week. Over 400 people were killed in both quakes, the last one in Mexico City where rescue efforts will go on for weeks. The people there are also in great need of humanitarian support. Mexico President Enrique Peña Nieto declared a national emergency, and the country is observing three days of national mourning. An unaccounted number of people are staying at shelters around Mexico City after losing their homes. Schools have closed indefinitely, and millions remain without power.

I checked a few of the largest relief agencies providing help in Mexico and Catholic Relief Services had the highest percentage of monies that go directly to relief – 94% – with the remaining 6% being used for administration and fundraising.

HEALTH WISE – We’ve all heard about the value of eating green vegetables, they’re loaded with antioxidants, which are vitamins and other compounds that help block the free radicals that can cause DNA damage, aging, and even cancer.

What I didn’t know is that antioxidants are rated on an oxygen radical absorbance capacity – an (ORAC) scale – that is a measure of the combined antioxidant power of a food. The higher the rating, the better.

ORAC ratings of common vegetables

Kale 1,770
Spinach 1,260
Brussels sprouts 980
Alfalfa sprouts 930
Broccoli florets 890
Beets 840
Red bell peppers 710

All in all, most greens are definitely worth the chewing time. And I think I am going to have to develop a taste for kale. Never has been a favorite food of mine, but I read that these vegetables also serve as in anti-inflammatory capacity, and goodness knows I need that for my postherpatic neuralgia that does not seem to be going away.

FRIDAY FUN –  A Scotsman who was driving home one night, ran into a car driven by an Englishman. The Scotsman got out of the car to apologize and offered the Englishman a drink from a bottle of whisky. The Englishman was glad to have a drink. “Go on,” said the Scot, “have another drink.”

The Englishman drank gratefully. “But don’t you want one, too?” he asked the Scotsman.

“Perhaps,” replied the Scotsman, “after the police have gone.”

I went into a Liberal clothing store today to purchase some pants. When I started trying on a few pairs, I noticed that all the pockets except one had been removed. I stopped a clerk and ask him if anyone complained. He said “No, Liberals always want a hand out.”

I asked what happened to the other pockets. “They don’t go to waste: Conservatives use them to line theirs.”

Q: What do you call a lawyer who has gone bad?
A: Senator.

That’s it for me folks. I do hope you have a good weekend, and let me know if the information here has been helpful.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2006-2017 Maryann Writes All rights reserved.
This site is using the Desk Mess Mirrored Child Child-Theme, v1.0, on top of
the Parent-Theme Desk Mess Mirrored, v2.5, from BuyNowShop.com